- 1 ½ pound (671g) lean ground beef
- 1 (200g) onion, diced
- 1 (200g) green or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 (10g) garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup (188ml) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (12.5g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) dijon mustard
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 – 3 drops liquid smoke
- Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil to the Instant Pot and press Sauté button.
- Wait for the pot to heat up, then brown ground beef, seasoning generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- The ground beef will begin to release moisture. At the 5-minute mark, drain & discard the ground beef juice.
- Allow ground beef to brown. Stir occasionally until they are slightly crisped and browned (~5 – 7 minutes).
- Saute Vegetables: Add diced onion to browned beef and saute for 2 minutes. Add in diced bell pepper and minced garlic, then saute until fragrant (roughly a minute).
- Deglaze: Add 1 tbsp (12.5g) brown sugar, 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) Worcestershire sauce, and ½ cup (125ml) water, then fully deglaze bottom of the pot by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Mix the brown bits with the liquid mixture.
- Turn pot off.
- Add 1 tbsp (15ml) tomato paste, 1 tsp (5ml) dijon mustard, and ¾ cup (188ml) ketchup on top. Do not mix. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes + 10 minutes Natural Release. After 10 minutes, turn venting knob to venting position to release remaining pressure.
- Open the lid carefully and stir.
- Add in the liquid smoke if desired. Taste and season with more salt and black pepper if necessary.
- In a pan, toast burger buns for a few minutes over medium heat.